Why Food Justice Advocates Should Care
Reasons why eaters and food justice advocates should care
- NAFTA affected every level of our food systems–growers, markets, what food is available to consumers, and the food safety standards we have to keep unsafe products off the markets.
- The original NAFTA displaced 1.3 million farmers from Southern Mexico. While the cost of corn decreased significantly while the cost of tortillas rose.
- Investor State Dispute Settlement positions multi-national corporations to have protections as they violate human rights like having access to clean drinking water.
- In the original negotiations and in the current ones, farmers and others connected to our food systems aren’t present at the negotiating table.
- NAFTA opened Mexico’s markets to floods of imported, unhealthy foods.