Washington Fair Trade Coalition
State Director// Trade Justice Organizer
Washington Fair Trade Coalition (www.washingtonfairtrade.org) is seeking an experienced organizer to lead its coalition work in Washington state.
The Washington director will work with labor, environmental, food justice, public health, family farm, data and privacy, consumer and other social justice organizations to educate and mobilize community leaders and constituents toward meaningful changes to US trade policy. Our work largely happens in Western WA, but we have a few partner organizations in Eastern WA as well.
*A campaign to waive COVID vaccine intellectual property at the World Trade Organization (the so-called “TRIPS” waiver)
*A climate and international courts campaign around the keystone pipeline Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) case
*On-going campaigning around labor rights in Mexico and the implementation of the United States Mexico Canada Agreement (USMCA) labor commitments
Only highly-organized self-starters should consider applying for this position. A successful candidate will:
* Have a deep commitment to and passion for social and economic justice
* Work well independently and be resourceful
* Have at least two years organizing experience, ideally with educational or policy campaigns
* Have experience working with volunteers and developing a leadership pipeline
*Have strong communication and public speaking skills for different audiences. This work requires writing press releases, holding press briefings, planning public education presentations for different coalition partner audiences, and doing communications with legislators and their staff.
* Be able to work within a budget
* Be comfortable working with labor unions, environmental groups, family farm organizations and people of diverse races, sexualities and political backgrounds
* Fluency in languages beyond English is a strong plus
* Meeting with the leadership of various labor, environmental, family farm, consumer, faith and community organizations to solicit or continue their involvement in coalition activities
* Organizing public events, press briefings, rallies, and leading other campaign tactics
* Staying on top of national and local trade policy developments
* Communicating with Washington’s Congressional delegation and other elected officials
*Lead the continued search for a board president
*Responsible for executing the day-to-day management to carry out Board-made policies
*Managing Washington Fair Trade Coalition’s board of directors including a continued search for a board president
*Regular reporting of activities to Washington Fair Trade Coalition’s board and Citizens Trade Campaign’s national staff
* Coordinating regularly with Citizens Trade Campaign’s national staff
*Managing relationships among coalition partners with varying interests
* Soliciting funds from supportive local organizations and others to aid in short-term and long-term in-state campaigning
* Identifying key leaders for long-term participation in the Washington Fair Trade Coalition.
*Some evening and weekend work is required for this position
Hours, Location & Compensation
The position is based in Seattle with statewide travel required as COVID restrictions ease.
This is a full-time position paying $53,000 and comes with a benefits package including generous paid time off, healthcare, and more.
Please send a resume and cover letter to Michael Righi (email@example.com) as soon as possible. We will begin considering applications at the end of November and will consider resumes until the position is filled. No calls please.